rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shorebreak buffoon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Shorebreak buffoon Reply with quote

Anyone here have to get through and in a shore break? If so, how do you do it? Ride onto the sand and get up or walk onto the shore after standing in the shallow water by the shore, or some other way ? Used my UDTs at Makaha today and stumbled around with the shorebreak pushig me around. Should I use shorter fins next time?
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIpaipo,

Like a lot things - it all depends.

I think a nasty scenario is where you can just get to your feet but the surge is wanting to pull you back into the next wave. I usually go for the ride as far up the beach as I can then scramble to get a fin off. Getting a broken whitewater helps for this.

Then there is catching the behind of the wave so you are getting drawn along without being in the wave. Mistimed this could get heavy, but can work.

Other options include, send the board in and bodysurf (not an option where there are rocks of course.

Then again, Makaha may present special shorebreak challenges from what I have seen.

If you need a longer fin out there, I would stick with it.

Bob
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best displays of buffoonery are clambering up stairs or rocky cliffs that extend into deep water, pretty common in Santa Cruz. Many times I end up crawling rather than risk getting sucked out again with no fin on.
In beach break I typically ride up as far as I possibly can then walk backwards (while gazing out to sea in a pensive and noble way...)
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, don't wanna "make a$$" next time. Asked my dad, who grew up in Hawaii Kai, and was a regular at Makapuu, what to do, he said to ride the wave onto the shore. So, I went to my usual break and practiced riding onto the shore and getting up. Got a technique going, so I'm ready for round 2 with Makaha Very Happy
HIpaipo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pic I took of the shorebreak

http://hipaipo.deviantart.com/art/Makaha-9-26-09-Shorey-138483678
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the waves move up to head high and larger ωWe have some rather nasty shore dumps along the USA East Coast since it is mostly sandbar breaks. Most shore dump to me is equivalent to "neck breaking opportunities" so I don't try to ride it in unless there is a smooth entry opportunity. My board has skegs and my feet have flippers. In these situations I will dismount the board and walk it in holding on to the board via the leash. Still need to take it easy but it is easier to manage myself with the ebb and flow of the shore crashers and also some separation from my board.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rickm

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Rod on this one. At one of the GPs the shorebreak was at least head high. Got in as close as possible then as the last wave of the set passed. more or less made a made dash for the beach. Def neck breaking conditions.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: