rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shaping

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph2601

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: shaping Reply with quote

Hey Guys, normally i shape Surfboards but a friend of mine want to have a paipo/body board! So i thougt to shape a board!

My question is, is it possible to shape a board with typical surfboardmaterials?

For Example
EPS/XPS Core and fibre glass cloth with epoxy?

Hope somebody can help me

Greetz
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you bet I have made 4 out of foam and epoxy. see soulglider blog he has lots of custom foam and epoxy. I like wood over foam now and I think mother earth likes it better too MRMIKE
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tons of shapes out there that are made with standard surfboard materials (foam, glass & resin). Orange Matter and RPM Checkered Disk have some pics and specs here:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Paipo-07ODVII.shtml
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/Paipo-09CheckeredDVIII.shtml
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Christoph2601

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, THX for the help!! Looks really good!

Are here some templates for a paipo?

and have somebody shaped ever an XPS Paipo? I thought to shape an XPS paipo with an 1x6 OZ Layer Bottom and 1x6 OZ Layer Bottom (Stringerless)

If i would shape with EPS! Is a stringer really needful

Greetz Chris
Christoph2601

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it also possible to shape an Body Board from these materials?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christoph2601 wrote:
Hey Guys, THX for the help!! Looks really good!

Are here some templates for a paipo?

and have somebody shaped ever an XPS Paipo? I thought to shape an XPS paipo with an 1x6 OZ Layer Bottom and 1x6 OZ Layer Bottom (Stringerless)

If i would shape with EPS! Is a stringer really needful

Greetz Chris

My shaper, Austin Saunders, made a template from my design, but I guess it is kinda proprietary Wink You know how shapers guard their templates! Lacking a real template you can carefully eyeball the pics of my boards and use the measurements in the specs sheets and go from there.

One of our local Delaware shapers is making an EPS epoxy paipo for a local bodyboarding talent that does a lot of drop-knee riding. I am sure that others have done that. If I wasn't so rich in paipo boards right now it would be another step in having Mike Hague make me one, too. I am not qualified to comment on XPS.

A stringer in an EPS epoxy board isn't a necessity, but does contribute to overall strength and weight balance. Additionally, it provides some weight which in this instance is probably welcome.

If you don't travel or beat your board up <g> then single coats should be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christoph2601 wrote:
Is it also possible to shape an Body Board from these materials?

Yes, you can shape a bodyboard paipo from any of the materials used to make surfboards. For example, see the October 2008 section of this page:
http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/riders/Austin_Saunders/austin_boards.shtml
Christoph2601

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THX for all advices!

May be one of you could give me an advice! How many layers of fibreglass are neces...for a board! I guess not so much as for a surfboard!?

I thought about a 6 OZ layer deck and a 6 OZ layer bottom! (Without Stringer)
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering typical lengths of paipo boards and the way they are ridden is a stringer ever really neccessary? The stress that a typical standup or kneelo board would take because of the centralized weight or pressure, is that required in a belly board or paipo? I'm not promoting a position, just asking. They do look cool, though.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Considering typical lengths of paipo boards and the way they are ridden is a stringer ever really neccessary? The stress that a typical standup or kneelo board would take because of the centralized weight or pressure, is that required in a belly board or paipo? I'm not promoting a position, just asking. They do look cool, though.

Many boogie boards (bodyboards) now include different types of stringers (more for adding stiffness than breaking?). Seeing as to how my boards tend to take a pounding I will keep having a stringer put in my boards.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: asc Reply with quote

i have a few stringerless eps/epoxy and PU boards. 6+4/4 works great! my flexible ones have 6/6 no stringer. i have also used kevlar patches, not any more...it stiffens boards and is really hard to work with. my latest favorite is a stringerless 4'5" paipo. it has an S-Deck with really knifey rails a hull bottom with a slight concave from nose to tail. the outline is a shrunken down version of Velo. its only about 3/4" thick in the front half and 1 1/2" in the tail. its glassed with 4/4 with a 9 oz really tight weave fiberglass my glasser found. this is the fastest most maneuverable board i've had built to date. the fins are 1/8" thick fiberglass i made myself. they are keels that i notched, they look like a boomerang and are really flexible. feels finless but they really do let me stay high on a vert wall, better than anything i've tried. i will take pics. if you want to see them, i will email.
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others have covered the whether you can make a paipo using standard materials. I think the real challenge is what sort of design - parallel rail model like an an alaia, wide nose and narrow tail (Mike makes this style), wide tail and narrow nose (HPD guitar picks) or anything in between. There are a quite a few threads on these issues.

Like other boards the shape will be influenced by the wave type to be ridden and the experience of the rider. Also, don't be shy on glass - the boards of John Galera I ride have 10 oz glass jobs (possible 2 layers I can't check just now). A more bouyant paipo will plane easier but duck dive less well and as I found in size, they can bounce a bit like a skipping stone, if more bouyant.

Fin or finless - I enjoy the finless approach, others will prefer a finned board.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you travel by airlines somewhat frequently then it is prudent to have stronger and/or multi-layer glass jobs to guard against the dents and pressure dings from being banged around in the luggage handling process and those inopportune times when your board is placed at the bottom of the luggage cart with 6 levels of suitcases stacked upon it!
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like extra glass on the nose (top and bottom) where you plan to grab the board. The rest of the board can be single layer.

Previous posts on Swaylocks regarding stringers say that the typical small stringer is mainly a shaping aid. It defines the center of the board. Also that it can be part of the problem in a board snap...it can't bend as far as the foam, so the wood breaks, which protrudes through the glass, further weakening the structure, then the full board snap. Some people use 3 inch wide fiberglass on the stringer plus one full layer of glass on the bottom to avoid putting two full layers of glass on the bottom.

As far as shaping goes...stringers aren't necessary for the folks that think symettry is highly overated.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just draw a line down the center then line up your templet all nice and centered with no stringer MRMIKE Cool
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: