rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Show us your LATEST PROJECTS ..boards/fins/whatever.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is what I am working on. I would be interested in any comment about the outlines. This is my first real attempt at shaping and neither board is really symmetrical. The wood was probably too narrow to start with, then there was my dodgy jigsaw technique (never used one of these before. I did a small trial first but once you get going on a longer curve they take on a life of there own).

I don't want to take too much more width out of the boards - widest point now is only 16". I am also toying with gluing an extra piece on the nose so I can get a bit more nose lift on the board on the right.

Bob

[/img]

Soulglider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: ccas Reply with quote

Bob, those are beautiful outlines! i just rode the paipo i got from MrMike this morning on 3-6 glassy faces. the best board i own. i stopped off and bought a sheet of Luan 1/2" ply on the way home with visions of a 46"x30" version. cant wait to see how yours goes, keep us up to date, mate.
mrmike

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look real fine to me MRMIKE Cool
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOve the flat rocker,cool outlines too, did you choose the thickness so it will have a bit of flex or not?

I found that flat rocker doesnt mean it will pearl or 'dig the nose in', as long as you pull the outline in quicker at the nose.
So IMHO the one on the right is less likely to pearl. Can anyone else confirm that this is true when shaping flat boards ??
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Mike - I spent some time this arvo and believe I can improve the symmetry of the boards. I wasn't happy with how they looked. Some of your tips came in handy.

Tim,

You must be accumulating a large pile of boards by now.

Brett,

I figured 7/8" was a good thickness to start with (cost was also a factor). The rails of the alaia I have would be about only 3/8" I reckon. I may not go that thin - I don't want too much flex because of my dodgy back.

I am going to glue some wood on the nose of the board on the right so I can add a bit more lift - the planshape is basded on John Galera's nofin which has a fair bit of lift.

I agree the alaia can nosedive - however, this seems most noticeable when I have been riding something else and switch to the alaia. With the board on the left, I am going to thin the nose more than the Wegener alaia so I can add a bit more lift. I am hoping to have the boards ready for the water by Christmas - I am really trying to slow my usual pace so I can do a good job.

regards

Bob
Thierry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, those have very nice outlines ! The curves of the alaia are beautiful and the other one looks like bullet.

What wood did you take ? Looks like a soft wood. Paulownia ?

Quote:
I found that flat rocker doesnt mean it will pearl or 'dig the nose in', as long as you pull the outline in quicker at the nose.

Surfoils, did you find it true when going straight down the wave or only when you're more or less on a high line on the shoulder ?
bgreen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thiery,

Yes it is paulownia. Hopefully the outlines will be even better, when I even them up a bit more.

Bob
mrmike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob: it is like the pursian rug makers they alway weve in some imperfection. they say only God can make something perfect MRMIKE Cool
surffoils

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thierry wrote:

Surfoils, did you find it true when going straight down the wave or only when you're more or less on a high line on the shoulder ?

Its been more of a general problem with flat boards.
I tend to flail about, trying to turn left and right as quickly as possible and occassionally Ive dug a front rail and stopped dead. This is happening more on bowly beach waves head high and under.
I read something by Roy Stewart about how you can replace (flat) rocker with (curvey)outline , I tried i and it works for me, I tend to ride up the front of the board so most of my weight is on the front 1/2.

Latest board, I like a flat rocker.

and the older board was 19 wide the new one is 16, but I kept a lot of the front outline curve.

EVA deck layer with an additional 1in EVA deck patch and reversed Gorilla Grip pad for front grip.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surffoils wrote:
LOve the flat rocker,cool outlines too, did you choose the thickness so it will have a bit of flex or not?

So IMHO the one on the right is less likely to pearl. Can anyone else confirm that this is true when shaping flat boards ??

I think board length is a critical factor in pearling a rockerless board. I also think that several factors can add up to a perfect storm situation. Having too much artificial deck traction under your belly and legs can make it hard to reposition your body on the board. Any of you ever curse your traction as you tumble underwater through the soup?

P.S. I like the stomp pad on the nose. And score yourself 8 extra bonus points if it was a used pad that you peeled off a dead thruster.
Soulglider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: dvg Reply with quote

Bob, slowly but surely. Riding the board that MrMike sold me has made me into a real fan of thin paipos as compared to the more modern 60's style boards. not only is it way more fun than boards with fins lotsa folks wanna know what it is-its cool factor in the water distracts fellers in the line-up that would otherwise hassle me for riding prone. i even had a local shaper friend who's shaped some of my kneeboards here say, man, you are having way more fun than the rest of us, i have some twisted blanks in my shop, why dont we make some experimental stuff. i gotta try that! we'll see. keep going! and thanks again mrmike
mrmike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have almost as much fun makeing boards as rideing them. I am working on an alaia now. 5'7" long 18" at the nose 10" at the tail and only 3/8" thick made out of black walnut I will send pics when I finished next week MRMIKE Cool
mrmike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my finished alaia I call it a board from the dark side

glueing the wood togather

cutting out the shape

epoxing the knots and epoxing the figure head to the bow I mean nose

airbrushing the logo on the bottom

applying 4 coats of polyurathane

all finished I will surf it on the weekend MRMIKE Cool
surffoils

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRMIKE, thats brilliant, great idea with the hood ornament. Your boards come out very nicely with the colours and nose blocks, etc. Great to see.
surffoils

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be a bit greedy and post again.
Just a question for you guys about rocker, I have been doing the totally flat rocker for a while but Ive got an idea to do a convex rocker in the front and a concave rocker i the tail, (borrowing a bit from Dale Solomonsons 1984 Triplanes that have a bit of both rockers.)

The paipo board is made of 2 separate sections, LOA ~48 in,
front section 16 in,
body section 32 in,
joined in a manner yet to be invented.

Heres the pics...

Its a clunky drawing, but it gets the idea across. (In red) A pretty standard nose lift at the front, that runs into a flat.
Then a step.

(In blue) And the body section starts with a flat and runs into a slight concave towards the tail.

Heres a slightly more refined drawing but accentuating the rear concave.

And heres how it might look in the end, the curves are almost flowing from convex to concave, with the step reducing wetted area. And the grey line indicating the water surface.

Heres a pic of it as a single piece.

What do you think guys ? Suggestions ?

or is my Aspergers getting a hold of me ?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Paipo Board Design & Building All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: