rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PAIPO FOR ME!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kneeridin
Matt Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Checkered Demon has become the favorite in the quiver. Plenty of float and I can stand on big hollow days. 4' 6" long, about 20" wide and close to 2" thick.
http://groups.msn.com/HalleckPhotos/paipoquiver.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=628
http://groups.msn.com/HalleckPhotos/paipoquiver.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=630
Bryant Pierpont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: more help for beginners Reply with quote

Like the guy who began this thread, I'm very interested in learning paipo. I've surfed for 38 years - not well but enthusiastically. A few years ago, I had a chance to ride a boogie board and fell in love with it. But, there are some speed issues...

So, I'm here. I've been looking at the paipo.com site and am very impressed with the products. My concerns (based not on fact but old surfing experience):

1) The lack of fin(s).
2) The lack of leash.

As there seems to be no other commercial supplier of paipo boards, I haven't really looked elsewhere. Building one myself is about as likely as flying ;-0

I'm 52, weigh 235, 6'1" and am in reasonable condition.

Please give me some recommendations .... besides losing weight Wink

Thanks!
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got an itchy trigger finger? heh heh. You don't need a fin for prone riding. Your legs and flippers will do that along with the wide part of the board. On this board the fin will only slow you down. I am the guy Paul built the black paipo spoon for on the front of the site; for knee riding. It's a tricky board that I still haven't mastered, probably not the board for a beginner. The standard paipo is still my go-to board. It's a really good board and he makes a big one for big guys. Did I say it was a good board? Very Happy
I put a leash on mine because I surf a moderately crowded break real early in the morning. It can be hard to see in the semi- dark, so I wanted a leash to be able to find it and not bonk anyones head. I cut out a little foam on the deck and glassed an o'fishl leash plug to the top. Then I use a bicep leash. There are lots of guys who ride spoons and other neutral bouyancy type craft who think that's a really really bad idea. A neut. bouy. board can take a while to float up and sometimes even seem like an anchor. If it's whipping around on a short leash in the spin cycle there might be a problem for your head. Generally the board won't float away anything like a foam board and you should hang on at all costs. But it works for me.
Anyway buy the board you won't be sorry. Got to have flippers if you don't (vipers!) sorry, obvious. Paid for by the Hawaiian Paipo Designs admiration society. he he he.
Bryant Pierpont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at the new one (Giant). Hearing from folks using it makes it so much easier to pull the trigger. Now, if I can get him to ship APO...

I have fins but I'm always looking......
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
got an itchy trigger finger? heh heh. You don't need a fin for prone riding. Your legs and flippers will do that along with the wide part of the board. On this board the fin will only slow you down.

I can't help but wonder how true that really is. Are HPD riders handcuffed by tradition, or do they experiment with their boards. Anybody ever try fins, runners or a thicker deck pad on their HPD.
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
Anybody ever try fins, runners or a thicker deck pad on their HPD.

Why? They track just fine, hold a high line, and have a thick deck pad already.

You have to keep in mind that paipos are designed to plane not float. And the side benefits of not having to provide extra flotation are the ability to duck dive to any depth necessary to get under major whitewater, and not needing to have a leash.

They have a skeg, it's the 30" inch wide corner of the board, niceley placed right behind your center of gravity. The bottom chine meets the rail right before the corner. When you roll the board the chine acts as a v-bottom burying the rail which slices nicely into the water acting as a skeg.

I had my black SR out in some decent beach break surf last Sunday (8 feet @ 13 seconds.) The head high set waves were nice and steep. Bottom turns were high-G, and with the flex response of the SR, I could just snap right to any spot on the face.

There is also nothing to match the feeling you get when in trim, screaming down the line, cantilevered out into space with only the corner of the deck in the water.

Do I think they can be improved on? Sure - thinner, lighter, and even more snap. But I won't be adding any redundant fins. Stay tuned.
-
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:

I put a leash on mine because I surf a moderately crowded break real early in the morning. It can be hard to see in the semi- dark, so I wanted a leash to be able to find it and not bonk anyones head. I cut out a little foam on the deck and glassed an o'fishl leash plug to the top. Then I use a bicep leash. There are lots of guys who ride spoons and other neutral bouyancy type craft who think that's a really really bad idea.

Indeed, crowded conditions are not a valid excuse for adding such a dangerous complication. Wink The boards pop up very near to where you do, when you lose them. They do not go racing away in front of the whitewater. The only times I have had the board travel any distance from me have been when eating it big-time and going over-the-falls in way overhead surf. (Failed late take-offs etc.. where you get sent to the bottom and/or cycle twice.) Even then, when the board finally pops up, it behaves as usual and stays in the general vicinity of where it surfaced.

All those breaks around 41st Ave. close out before it gets that big anyway. Mr. Green
-
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: more help for beginners Reply with quote

Bryant Pierpont wrote:

I'm 52, weigh 235, 6'1" and am in reasonable condition.

Please give me some recommendations ....

I'm about your size but even older! I would like to strongly recommend an HPD SR model. I own or have ridden all the others and it is by far my favorite. It is the same size as the big ones but it is lighter and has a really nice, snappy flex.

Mine is black, and while they pop up right near you when you lose 'em, I would now opt for a custom color, either day-glo yellow or perhaps International Orange. Wink
-
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah,
I had Paul make me a flexi-paipo-spoon with a fin box pretty much with experimentation in mind. I wanted a kneelo that rode like my flex HPD. It's the black one (like I mentioned) on the front of his website. Truly a beautiful board. But also as I mentioned I haven't mastered it, probably has more to do with my innate lack of athletic talent that the boards capabilities. At any rate I don't think HPD riders are handcuffed any more than your average water hooligans. I will say that their construction makes after market adaption not so easy. Though Paul is certainly open for suggestions.
Of all kinds of surfing I think maybe paipo riders have the greatest tradition of home grown experimentation. Very Happy Yay for us.
When are we going to have a paipo fest???
Bryant Pierpont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: More thanks and questions Reply with quote

I can't tell you how valuable this is to me. Thank you so much.

When you recommend a board and discuss flotation, I'm a bit confused. I understand the desire to reduce flotation (vs. a boogie board), both for duck diving and for feel. However, flotation has certain advantages (ease of paddling and recovery after getting pounded).

With that in mind, I was looking for a compromise. A bit of float but not too much. So, given my size, I thought the Monster was in that area.

Am I close on the flotation issue?

Thanks again.

Bryant
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Float is relative. If you see a giant wall of whitewater bearing down on you, being able to dive straight down a couple of times through a major set with no effort is very nice.
On an HPD paddling speed suffers. There is no glide, at least for me. But how much are you floating on a body board anyway? At your size in a wetsuit you ought to float pretty good all by yourself. And you can get a rest between sets on the HPD. Just don't try to be on top when you are catching a wave -- you have to push it in front of you and jump on. And then hang on !!
Bryant Pierpont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: with every answer a question Reply with quote

Wow...fascinating.

My boogie board is fairly large and thick. It float me well...in some cases better than I want. Paddling with my hands and fins propels me fairly well. Better than on a shortboard...not quite as good as a longboard. When I catch a wave, I'm on it paddling (just like on my surfboard). I just don't get up.

You say I should push the paipo in front of me and jump on. In deep water, how would I do that?

I definitely see the advantage of duck diving. That's very clear Wink

Thanks for your help!

Bryant
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: with every answer a question Reply with quote

Bryant Pierpont wrote:

You say I should push the paipo in front of me and jump on. In deep water, how would I do that?

It's a little difficult to explain and you will need the experience of being in the water with one to finally "get it" but catching a wave with it is a lot closer to bodysurfing than boardsurfing.

You push it ahead of you while grabbing the sides of the board with each hand and kicking or even holding with one hand so you can use an arm for swimming. We're talking swimming here, with your legs totally submerged. It often helps to start going for the wave early and get up some shorward speed before the wave gets to you, all depends on the break and conditions.

As the wave picks you up it is almost effortless to pull the board under you as it slides very easily under the chest. Grab the rail further up the nose of the board with the hand on the side of your body which is the direction you want to go and pull up on the opposite rail with your other hand. That's really all there is to it.

Swimming around outside the break it is definitely a flotation aid. If you sit or lie flat on it it will be submerged and very awkward. If you just grab on to it with the nose angled up in the air it gives you some discernable extra buoyancy and your body will be several more inches up out of the water than without it.

I often hang off underneath the board and swim on my back as a change of pace.
-
Bryant Pierpont

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: More silly questions Reply with quote

Getting much clearer...thanks!

So, paddling out - you're holding the board in front of you with it giving some flotation to your head. You are propelling yourself entirely by fins.

Catching the wave - more of the same except you might paddle a bit with one arm. Pulling the board under you actually makes sense...I think...

Is that a fair description?

Finally (for at least 10 minutes), paipos would seem to be significantly faster than boogie boards. How do they compare when paddling out and when catching waves? Can you still do ultra-late takeoffs?

Thanks so much.

Bryant
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: More silly questions Reply with quote

Bryant Pierpont wrote:
Can you still do ultra-late takeoffs?

Sometimes... Wink
-
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: