rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create your own Paipo Holiday
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Did you hear what the new pirate movie was rated? Arrrgh!"

-from Jolly Roger: Massacre at Cutter's Cove

Yes here on the afternoon of July 4 P.I.D. 2006 building to a crashing whatever...one of the most crowded beach days along PCH in the L.A./Ventura County areas I've ever seen in my life...tremendous weather...tremendous crowds though...finally am sliding the hot part of the afternoon prone in front of a fan at home watching "Beach Patrol" and the madness of San Diego before shortly I go forth and continue work on my new paipo...which has arisen from a bad initial saw job to the place where I'll be sealing edges and maybe get a primer coat of paint on it today. Original plan was to be riding it today but then what's the point of not being flexible when you're talking a thin ply paipo?

Ah, Good Grief...summerfun not undone in winter...U.S. Independence day drinking Mexican beer, eating guacamole and ribs and corn on the cob...night spent consoling the dog who still has sharp hearing...beach madhouse of today will be quiet trash bonanza of recycleables in the morning. Hope everyone gets lit up.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slept too late on the the 4th. Didn't think I'd need to set my alarm clock. Oh well. The 4th usually isn't a very good water day for me. Too many incontinent people in the water.

I originally picked late April for a paipo holiday, because it wouldn't conflict with other major holidays and committments. Plus I can see where other folks, like people in the UK might have a different view of July 4th. One could see it as a day when the colonists declared bankruptcy (not independence) and refused to help pay the debt of the French and Indian War. Yes, I think we need a better day for a paipo holiday, like something that honors a paipo pioneer. How about Roger Wayland Day sometime in the Fall?
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
originally picked late April for a paipo holiday, because it wouldn't conflict with other major holidays and committments. Plus I can see where other folks, like people in the UK might have a different view of July 4th. One could see it as a day when the colonists declared bankruptcy (not independence) and refused to help pay the debt of the French and Indian War

That's why I thought a paipo independence day might have a bit more cross-cultural cachet. One never knows, however. Perhaps just a few of us really like to make a party out of life? At any rate, we got the first one out of the way...taking the notion from the drawing board to first article inspection piece.

Poobah, your choice of a non-conflicting date was obviously a good one...life does get complicated on holidays in populated areas. I suspect we need something for sometime in August, September at the latest, before North American water begins to cool. A Roger Wayland Day would be perfect, if there is interest, but would require some investment of time and creativity concerning riding equipment...even it if was a one-off bit which is a total failure in the water and an immediate return to other craft of choice. Or surf fishing or kayaking, as Roger was anything but a one-trick pony.

Maybe a quarterly official Paipo Holiday? In case some folks don't feel they have the party stamina? With occasional special events? I've wanted to make a plank Lamaroo lik the old school boards and some of the British things which have shown up online. They look absolutely deadly and painful but with enough beer...
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people with spirit (s)

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/piratehome.html
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
...I've wanted to make a plank Lamaroo lik the old school boards and some of the British things which have shown up online. They look absolutely deadly and painful but with enough beer...

I see no reason why we couldn't combine Plank Lamaroo Day with Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19th. Maybe a morning expression session followed by a winner-take-all party wave competition where the pirate riding farthest up the sand on his lamaroo wins the other boards. Arrrrrrr! It might be easier to just plant a (Jolly Roger) flagpole in the hard sand. The rider that ends up closest to the pole is the winner, wins all the planks and the title of Captain of Bolsa Chica. Who's in? Come on ya scurvy dogs.
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloody hell, September 19 is a Tuesday on my calendar (I acknowledge that it may not be a Tuesday on everyone else's calendars). Sort of screws up a festive get together but of course doesn't affect the ability for individuals to celebrate in their own time and space. Arr!

Never having had my hands on a plank, I was wodnering what the design critera would be? Just wood and beer?
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nels wrote:
Never having had my hands on a plank, I was wodnering what the design critera would be? Just wood and beer?

Arrrh, t'would be rum used for that rig matey!
-
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Arrrh, t'would be rum used for that rig matey!

Arrrh indeed...there I was awash thinking about Cornwall and Oz and naturally my thoughts turned to beer...not to mention Albany Oregon where the whole "Talk Like A Pirate Day" originated...BEER! But any pirate would gravitate toward rum...especially in conjunction with using tools! That's how come so many had peg legs and wooden eyes...all finely crafted to be sure but a more cautious life might have rendered their need unnecessary...
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be down in Cape Hatteras for GuidoPalooza the week of Sept 9th and hard penciled in for several days somewhere around Manzanita, OR, abouts Nov 10th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of rum...this morning I was thinking about homemade wood stains. I want to try Jamaican coffee steeped in rum. Should be appropriate for a pirate planker. You can drink any leftover stain. Keep the shop tidy. Aye, matey?
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arrr Manzanita Arrrregon. That be but 12 hours from me berth. Be there activity in the briny deep at that time of yar? (waves)
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kage wrote:
arrr Manzanita Arrrregon. That be but 12 hours from me berth. Be there activity in the briny deep at that time of yar? (waves)

It's THE season up here.

rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago during a visit and stay in Manzanita it was 2' on Friday morning, 20' on Saturday morning. Find a huge headland to hide behind!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: