rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

paipo papertrail - list of articles that need checking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgreen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: paipo papertrail - list of articles that need checking Reply with quote

Rod mentioned to me all the articles that people have posted are not listed in any single place. Below is my attempt at a list. It really needs checking and some additions of volume numbers/pages where missing. Some of the magazine names may be incorrect.

If there is anything that should be added- feel free. I made a separate listing for the advertisements because they make an interesting reading (for ads at least). Ads are listed by board name.

Bob

Articles

Editor. What’s New. Belly Buster Petersen’s Surfing, 1 (Cool, November: p. 52

Gross, P. (1976). Flotsam and jet skis. Surfer, 17(2), July: pp. 94-99

Growney, J. (2008). The longest ride. More paipo magic at Waikiki. The Surfers Journal, 17(4)Summer: p. 125.

Howarth, R. (1965). Surfing Girl of the Month. Nina Cherry. International surfing, 2?(6), October: p.60.

Newell, S. (1970). "Paipo Part I: It's not how long you make it...," Surfing, Volume 3, No. 1. (Jan/Feb 1970), pp. 56-59

Newell, S. (1970). "Paipo Part II: Greenough," Surfing, Volume 3, No. 2. (Mar/Apr 1970), pp.

Newell, S. (1970). "Paipo Part III: Wave Test," Volume 3, No. 3. (May/Jun 1970), p. 66-68

Pu’u, D. (2000). Mothball Fleet – A Moment. David Swanson, Paipo Boarder. The Surfers Journal, 9(3), pp122-123

Shipman, C. (1969). Surfing at the Time of Capt. Cook. Surfing, 1969, Sept/Oct: pp. 68-70.

Shipman, C. (1970). Prehistoric surfing contest. Surfing, February: pp. 72-73

Unknown (1964). Belly Boarding, Petersen's Surfing. 1(6) August, pp.40-41.

Unknown (2000). Indiana Seymour in the Temple of Oceanian. The Surfer’s Journal, 4 (3), Summer:p. 3.

Unknown (1964). Salt Creek bodysurfing and belly board contest. Petersen’s Surfing, 1 (Cool, November:

Unknown (1965). You’ve got to have the stomach for it … belly boarding, Petersen's Surfing. Yearbook 2, pp.192-195.

Valentine, V (1965).Paipo Nui. International surfing, 1(6), October: pp.50-52.

Advertisements

Barracudda, ‘Go tame a wave’, Surf: p.18

Belly Buster (1964).’Cooley Associates Inc. Presents their complete line of quality skateboards’. Petersen’s Surfing, 1 (Cool, November: inside back cover

Bellybogger. ‘The bellybogger brings back the real art of bellyboarding’, Tracks, October 1994: p.86

Bellybogger. (1978). ‘Get inside on a bellybogger’, Surfing World,

Bon Aire (1964). ‘California’s newest beach sport go ‘Skimming!’, Petersen's Surfing. 1(6) August: p. 6.

El paipo, (1972). ‘Outrageous’. Surfer, Feb: p. ?

El paipo .(1976). ‘Get involved with the Newport paipo’. Nov, p. 100?

Mouse (1964). ‘Get more fun out of bodysurfing’, Petersen's Surfing. 1(6) August: p. 50.

Paipo Nui [1965] ‘Paipo Nui’, International surfing, 2?(6), October, p.54

Plastic Mart [1965] ‘Another 1st from Plastic Mart’. International surfing, 2?(6), October, p.55
Titan (1904). Minboard Titan’s New design for exciting bodysurfing’, Petersen's Surfing. 1(6) August: p. 5.

Val Surf [1965]. “Surf’s down’, International surfing, October, 2?(6), p. 56?,57?,58?

Val Surf [1964] ‘Its fact not fiction Val’s surf is the first in quality’, Petersen’s Surfing, 1 (Cool, November: p.4

Waterskate. (1972). “G & S Waterskate’. Surfer?? April/May, p. ??

Not seen possibilities

Newell, S. (1970). Paipo article – part II. Surfing, Mrach ? April May?:

SURFER MAGAZINE VOLUME 6, NO. 4 (1965)
Surfing Action Volume 3, No. 1 (1970)
Surfing January Issue, Vol. 4. 1984. Big Breaks in the Early Days.
1966 Petersen’s Yearbook # 3

surf Guide 1965
Kampion, D. (1969). 'The Legend of Spyder Wills', SURFER. 10 (4), September
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified the Surfing/Surfing Action entries for the Skip Newell series in 1970 based upon some issues for sale on e-Bay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

Is there somewhere we can keep this list and update it? I can send you my updated list with changes in some colour as I hate track changes - most likely after you get back, though. It certainly seems there is a Surfing and a Surfing Action magazine, with the Newell articles in the latter. Part II seems a mystery. The person who has the mag collection is going to double check for me - it may never have made it t press.

I am awaiting a second email to confirm the identity of the guy on the green board.

Bob
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Were you able to access the Paipo Time Line in Google Docs to make changes/additions? If so, that might be one way of moving forward.

See my notes on International Surfing, Surfing Action and Surfing in the Magazines page: http://www.rodndtube.com/paipo/mags/magazines.shtml
I misread something late last night - as it turns out Surfing Magazine is a continuation of Int'l Surfing (the volume numbering continues). Surfing Action was short-lived (1968-1972, but was commonly called Surfing or Surfing Mag at the time).

The notes above and below are taken from looking at the entries in http://www.surfwarez.com/ and eBay at http://tinyurl.com/yd27wnz

Regarding the Newell series of articles in Surfing Action, Part II is listed in SurfWarez as "Greenough: Man in Motion" [SURFING ACTION VOLUME 3, NO. 2 (1970)] and in eBay Paipo Part 2: Greenough by Skip Newell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod,

haven't got back to the timeline - probably not before the weekend, but yes this sounds like a great location.

I was sent part II of the Newell article today, will forward it on. It's basically a page and a picture of GG. There were 2 ads of inetrest in the same edition though,

Bob
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: