rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slingshot on Sway's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Slingshot on Sway's Reply with quote

Found this on Swaylock's
Can't seem to get the photo up
http://www.swaylocks.com/surfshop/Detailed/4719.html

Introducing "The Slingshot". This 50 inch surfcraft offers a new level of appeal to the surfer. "Rideability". Scream down sections like never before, get deeper than you ever imagined, show everyone in the line up you possess skills they could only imagine on this miniature rocket. Paddles like a dream, incredible float and balance. Base model is available with single or twin fin. Custom model shown has glass on 9 inch Greenough fin.

Wait long enough and everything comes back around... What's old is new..again.... Wink
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slingshot is the same length as my boards, but more of a teardrop shape - similar to the shape I was riding 20 to 30 years ago, albeit my board had 70s style rails all turned down. Curious how wide the nose and tail are, how thick it is and what kind of rail flow is used.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wuh? Where did that come from? I'll have to go back and see if the shapers have been disussing it on the forums. Is it supposed to be standup? kneelo? prone? If standup it must be one thick puppy. It does remind me a bit of the Austin boards. The Greenough fin sounds about right too because I don't think you would have much stability without it.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kage, the tail hips are a lot more pulled in than Austin's boards which are templated on my basic design. Hard to tell much about that board from only one angle.

It does seem that along with the alaia that there is a current fad of riding very short boards in stand-up mode. I saw on a bodyboard site a recent contest that had a section called stand-up bodyboard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like many of the old "Newport Paipo" and "El Paipo" boards.
Slingshot:

From our host's collection

One of the young guys who works at Icons of Surf here in town told me his current favorite standup board is a 4'6"Mini Simmons! Surprised
Back when I was riding kneeboards full time I don't think I ever even had one under 5'.........
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Mack Mcconal at <theslingshot@rocketmail.com> who I guess is the seller ( Deep Blue Ocean Products ) but not the shaper.

Kim,
The board was intended to be a wall hanger.
Designed and built for me by legendary shaper Pat Flecky out of gratitude.
Once I had it in hand I had to ride it. All I have to say is magical.
Overall length is 50 inches. 1.75 inches thick. Nose to wide point is 18 inches. Slight nose rocker of 1.5 inches. 9 inch Greenough stage 4 fin glassed on. It can be ridden prone, knee or standup depending on your ability or style I have had it out in 1 foot slop and 4 to 6 foot screamers.
I am waiting for the right swell to go north to a jacking reef that produces serious speed with extremely critical sections. It has great float, easy to paddle and duck dive and transportability. The speed and projection are incredible.
The next model will be a Bonzer configuration. Here is a link to a couple more pics on Swaylocks. If you want specific pics let me know and I can get them to you.

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=2446

Thanks,

Mack

His shop is right outside of Pismo Beach. I think he should come up to the gathering for test rides. Heh heh. Perhaps I will suggest.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Grumpy wrote:
Looks like many of the old "Newport Paipo" and "El Paipo" boards.

From our host's collection

Not actually the host's collection - my generations of boards are much more beater than those!

Chet is in my local surf club, works and lives in DC and has a place down on the beach in Rehoboth, DE. And, as you can see, a nice collection of paipos. He rides all of them.
Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry , meant to say photo Embarassed collection.............

I'd like to see that slingshot board up close....... Cool
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An invite to the gathering would be good.

kage wrote:
This is from Mack Mcconal at <theslingshot@rocketmail.com> who I guess is the seller ( Deep Blue Ocean Products ) but not the shaper.

Kim,
The board was intended to be a wall hanger.
Designed and built for me by legendary shaper Pat Flecky out of gratitude.
Once I had it in hand I had to ride it. All I have to say is magical.
Overall length is 50 inches. 1.75 inches thick. Nose to wide point is 18 inches. Slight nose rocker of 1.5 inches. 9 inch Greenough stage 4 fin glassed on. It can be ridden prone, knee or standup depending on your ability or style I have had it out in 1 foot slop and 4 to 6 foot screamers.
I am waiting for the right swell to go north to a jacking reef that produces serious speed with extremely critical sections. It has great float, easy to paddle and duck dive and transportability. The speed and projection are incredible.
The next model will be a Bonzer configuration. Here is a link to a couple more pics on Swaylocks. If you want specific pics let me know and I can get them to you.

http://www.swaylocks.com/resources/detail_page.cgi?ID=2446

Thanks,

Mack

His shop is right outside of Pismo Beach. I think he should come up to the gathering for test rides. Heh heh. Perhaps I will suggest.

Uncle Grumpy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun to me..... Cool
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this guy's boards on a couple forums, including this one. Here's the latest version if you're interested:

The maker says he is going to demo the board & solicit test riders @ Pismo Pier this coming Sat.
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor,

Are you going for the test-ride? It would be interesting if someone can find out to find out more about the shaper, Pat Flecky.

Rod has now added the full sequence of your surfing pics to the interview.

Bob
bgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Fleck a while back

http://www.classicsurfad.com/catalog.php/classicads/pd1788549

Any update on his current location?

Bob
OG-AZN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I won't be checking out that board. Pismo Beach is a long way off for me; the board maker is from that area. I think there are some folks from the area on this forum too. I remember my older cousin was into Flecky boards back in the day. Also, the person promoting the board said the older single fin version will be the one tested, not the board in the latest pic.
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mellor is from that area (he probably posts more often on Swaylocks) and Nels Norene is about 2-1/2 hrs distant, so not close but certainly much closer than the majority of us.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: