rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums.
The (NEW) MyPaipoBoards Forums have moved to a new site. New registration is required.

Click on the link below:
About the Forums - Read Me!

{MyPaipoBoards Home}MyPaipoBoards Home  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of wave options

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: End of wave options Reply with quote

This will be the last caffine induced thesis writing avoidance posting of the day. This seems counter intuitive but powerful and I'd like to discuss it. I've found that the safest place to be on a breaking wave is inside the barrel. There may be exceptions to this but whenever I pull in gung ho and don't make it I get a minimal shakeing. At best I pop out the back of the wave and I'm off for another.

Another option when you see the lip coming down is to try to get to the flats, here's three reasons why I don't like that option. One, you decide too late and get the full force of the lip on your back (or head) as you are trying to run out to the flats. The worst result is a face first into the bottom kinda like a bully pushing your head into your hot lunch, only you're eating sand/rock/reef that day. Two, you head out to the flats too early and loose all speed as the wave catches back up to you. This can end with the lip hitting you (see above), or getting pulled up the face and lip launched with all it's varous results. Three, what if you could have made it? what if you had misread the section and it was going to hold long enough for you to get the tube of a lifetime? You'll never know.

How about pulling out? Well if you know your wave this is the safest option and reduces possiblity of injury and board damage. If you ride unpredictable beach breaks than you often don't know what the wave will be doing far enough ahead of time to get up and out safely. If you're too late you get lip launched maximizing the possibility of injury/damage. If you're too early you may be missing the best part of the wave and for me when I'm determined to get out over the top I spend most of my ride out on the shoulder so that I can safely escape when I want to. Boring.

So what do you think? Am I a hellman or idiot, or do I just live in weak soft Santa Cruz?
rodndtube
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrel has mutilated me too many times to call it the safest place, be it a collapsing and pummeling washing machine expedition or the sucking up the face and pitching over the falls experience... both aren't the favored routes on medium-shallow reefs. That's my experience Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that conditions at the time warrant certain ideal escape routes. Tide, wave size, and bottom conditions will call for certain approaches. There are days when I know that conditions allow for off-the-lips as finishing moves on every wave, because the sand bar (here in FL) is pretty narrow and the wave is actually pitching into deeper water than where most of it has broken.
Close to the beach? We have plenty of days here in FL in which shorepound is suicide no matter how you slice it. My mind goes back to Wedge footage from the 60's where the guys pretty much went straight through the barrel to whatever awaited them. Body surfers would often just dive straight down, perhaps doing a spin in the process.
Perhaps outrunning the wave at the end has the most merit, if it's timed right; I think the very last nuance of the ride should be a little turn back into the white water! That's always fun and stylish!
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the comment Rod made about reefs...I come from Southern California point wave surfing, and there is no question that my early years have totally controlled how I look at all that, including exit strategies. For me it's primary to make the wave, not something which translates well to beach breaks. If I can't make the wave I look to exit, as in our prone equivilent to kicking out on a surfboard. This has led to many trips over the falls at beach breaks. With a small enough board (like a mini paipo) I can duck through the back. This of course doesn't work with the mat, and is certainly hit or miss with a bodyboard. Neutral bouyancy a major plus.

I've spent so little time in reefs since my early twenties I realize I don't have much of a clue on that. Must be getting time for some R&R....wait, make that R&D...
kage
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can see it coming I'll almost always try and beat it ( the lip) and almost always get nailed. Why? Who knows, it's like dogs chasing cars. If it's big enough where I could power up and charge back through, then it's too big to bail on. Riding out in the flats feels like wasting a wave plus it's bound to push me farther in than I want to be. I am biased I suppose by not having to ride beach break very much. A sequence of me riding beach break sounds like:
A wave a wave, oh yay oh yay, oh sh*t oh sh*t, whomp whomp whomp!
A wave a wave, oh yay oh yay, oh sh*t oh sh*t, whomp whomp whomp!
repeat.
Poobah
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another (small) wave option is to drop down low on the wave, crank a turn straight up the wave and bust through the lip of the wave. The water blinds me at this point. I rely on my sense of balance and timing to come down with the breaking wave and head toward shore. Sometimes I make it. Even better sometimes I make it, recover my vision, then race around the white water to catch up to the shoulder. Surely some of you folks that ride twin fin fishies must do this, too???
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tube is definitely not the safest spot for me but that doesn't prevent me from trying to get there as often as I can. Wink I probably don't make most waves where I get tubed. On head high or less I like to turn into the face and punch out the back like Nels. This can work pretty well with a small or neutral buoyancy board like an HPD. On larger stuff I'm still exploring the seemingly infinite number of variations in regards to body contortions that can occur in a heavy wipeout in the tube.

I also ride a lot of beachbreak (or reef transitioning into gravel /sand beachbreak) waves with unpredictable walls which can section at any time. I like to shoot up the face and through the lip to the back of the wave at the last second and try to scramble back out to the lineup. Of course if i was on an early wave of a big set then I'm positioned exactly in the impact zone. Shocked
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
...come down with the breaking wave...

This can sometimes be tough on the solar plexus!
PaipoJim
Director of CTU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poobah wrote:
...come down with the breaking wave...

This can sometimes be tough on the solar plexus!
Nels
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like to shoot up the face and through the lip to the back of the wave at the last second and try to scramble back out to the lineup

This reminds me of one of the most fun things you can do on a bodyboard. I can't tell you how many times on mediocre wave days I've wound up just playing with the breaking lips of waves. The idea isn't to catch anything, but to wait to the last moments - as late as you can- before punching stright up through the lip of the wave. With good timing you can sometimes shoot a bit into the air. With better timing you can see little fish backlit by a late afternoon sun as they dart through the thin water...one can only imagine what they are seeing. 3'-4' seems to be the play zone with minimal trips over the falls and maximal clear water. The bodyboard has enough bouyancy to make it easy and give that boost, plus is soft enough to be safe.
John Galera

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: SIT Reply with quote

When teaching new riders I always emphasize the SIT (stay in the tube).
In Hawaii where tubes are common, I have found that if you stay in the tube until the last second than dive out the backdoor, in most instances you come out the better. In the other instances, Well you got to pay the piper sometimes...
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a great thread. I love hearing this stuff from other paipo riders from all over! Paipo surfing is so much fun, and it's so special. I think we're really lucky to be able to see the merit of riding these little boards and actually DO IT. Lots of people I meet make comments like, "You've got the right idea there, buddy." But, you know...they're never going to do it because they can't free up their mind enough to actually pursue it. I think you have to have a little kid inside you that, for one thing, is not afraid to be different.

Reading these replies about technique inspires me and makes me feel really stoked. All of us are spread out far and wide, but a thread like this allows me to see a definite brotherhood here. It's cool.

Regarding playing with the lip: just in regular surfing down the line - not necessarily at the end of the ride - I just love playing it real high on the wave and playing with that lip...flirting with disaster...it feels really good up there where there's so much power and potential.
AM_Glass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add another item to my original post. As I found out this morning, if the wave is to small to get INTO the barrel and you instead get hit in the back, or back of the head, with the pitching lip, that is the worst place to be. Of course if the waves are that small you can normally power through the back and not worry about it. I tried and tried to get barreled this morning on my knee board but kept getting pushed face first toward the shallow reef. I had a helmet on, but my nose, mouth and chin were wide open. A friend recently got lacerated at this same spot probably doing what I was doing, so be careful out there.
MTbarrels
Tray Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Glass wrote:
...<substantial portion deleted>...I tried and tried to get barreled this morning on my knee board but kept getting pushed face first toward the shallow reef. I had a helmet on, but my nose, mouth and chin were wide open...<snipped>...

A few years ago I got a new bodyboard with a virtually flat bottom (perhaps even a slight negative rocker). I quickly discovered that one had to have their weight considerably farther back than with my other bodyboards in order to get it to turn well (and reliably). Otherwise when the board was banked to initiate the turn, the curvature in the planform near the front of the board would act like a rudder to push the front end away from the direction one intended to turn.

Anyhow, very early in this acclimation process I went out on a day with small, but really hollow waves. Last thing I remember from that session was rubbing the Velcro down on my fin-savers just before heading out into the water. The next thing I remember is turning the key in the lock on the door of my house. The intervening period was (and remains) totally missing.

Based on the scrape (and bump) on my forehead, I came to the conclusion that the following sequence probably took place:

1. Caught a wave in a late state of breaking.
2. Banked the board to execute the bottom turn--but didn't get my weight far enough back.
3. Caught the forward rail on the wave-side of the board during the bottom turn. This deflected my path to diagonally toward shore, away from the wave face, and into the impact zone for the descending lip.
4. Lip struck me in the back and head and drove me down to the bottom--which I impacted with the left side of my forehead.
5. Instinct must have gotten me to shore following the impact since I don't remember anything about being out in the water or about how I got home (turns out two of my friends drove me home).

With regard to a helmet...

I always wear my Gath whenever I surf a hardboard (and sometimes when bodyboarding if at a rocky break, or in a crowd--however this incident was at a beach break with a sand bottom). But I don't think it would have helped if I had been wearing it (except for perhaps eliminating the scrape on my forehead) since contact with the bottom was with the left side of my forehead in the area that is covered by rubber but not by the helmet protective shell.

Since then (based on this experience and other considerations), I have added a face guard to the Gath. However, I feel that that still does not address what I consider to be the greatest risk in these (or similar) circumstances--which would be a broken neck.

mtb
tumak
Dolphin Glider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTbarrels - Man, that's kind of a scary story; I'm glad your friends were there and that they took such good care of you.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    rodndtube.com's (OLD) MyPaipoBoards Forums. Reading but no posting on the OLD forums. Forum Index -> Your Wave All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: